Even mission critical installations aren’t safe from their share of scares. Whether a DIY attempt gone wrong or an inexpert integration of important systems, there is no shortage of horror stories in the AV world.
The rack room is a small space filled with the constant hum of activity. It shouldn’t be a place of horror, but it can be if your AV rack is a jumbled web of cables. The tangled, tentacle-like cables are not just unappealing to behold; a rack like this is a nightmare to use and service.
Here are a few reasons why a disorganized AV rack can be truly scary:
- A messy AV rack makes it harder for users to identify exactly what they are looking at. A well-organized rack decreases the chances of accidentally disconnecting the wrong source, which can be critical in a demanding environment like an operations center.
- When not properly organized, there can be unnecessary stress on the cables which can result in crimping, twisting and other wear and tear which can impact the longevity of your connections.
- Racked AV equipment needs the space to “breathe” so fans work efficiently. Messy or excess cabling can block servers, impeding optimized airflow.
- Disorganized cables running across one another can cause inadvertent disconnections due to the stress of overlaying cables.
- All AV racks require maintenance from time. If a rack is not properly dressed with clearly organized and labeled cabling, that necessary maintenance can take much longer as it’s difficult to service.
Don’t let amateur integration send your project to the grave
A mission critical operations center is not like just any AV integration project. It needs to keep running 24/7, helping operators keep watch and respond to critical incidents as soon as they occur. Your control center can get your organization and community through the darkest of nights if you make sure to choose an integrator that gets it right.
Beware the project pitfalls you can encounter if your command center gets in the wrong hands:
- A video wall system consists of multiple components that need to work together: displays, processors, and sources. An integrator unfamiliar with the demands and components of a mission critical system may fail to properly combine these parts so they may perform their best.
- Your operators work long shifts with stressful situations, and ergonomic planning is vital to keep them from feeling like zombies. Monitor and video wall placement requires a delicate balance with expert analysis to optimize your space and avoid undue strain. Ergonomic mistakes can be costly to fix, and analysts in your command center must be able to work at peak productivity without discomfort.
- There are a lot of video wall displays on the market, and without mission critical expertise it can be difficult to determine which display is the right choice for you. The number of considerations necessary to make a decision can be dizzying: How much power does it require? Is it the right resolution for your sources? Is it durable enough for 24/7 use? Is LCD, LED, or 4k display the right choice? An integrator who doesn’t know mission critical inside and out can leave your installation in limbo.
- In a command center, there is a lot on the line: money, reputations, sensitive information, and even lives. When a video wall is responsible for monitoring important information, the performance demanded of your technology integration is much higher than in any other application. Don’t let downtime leave you in the dark. Amateur integration could leave your video wall system vulnerable without the necessary redundancies to keep your operation alive.
How to avoid an AV horror story:
Creating an operations center is complex, but it doesn’t have to be scary. With the right partner at your side, your installation can go off without a hitch and operate smoothly.
With a project as important as mission critical, you can’t afford to make mistakes with your technology partners. At Constant Technologies, we take every step of your video wall system installation seriously and pay attention to every last detail to make sure we get it right. There are a lot of AV integrators out there, and while many have dabbled in mission critical, Constant’s expertise is unmatched. Our work with firms like CVSHealth, Akamai Technologies, Carnival Cruise, Facebook, Lockheed Martin, and more as well as with government agencies such as the Department of Defense, United States Coast Guard and Air Force proves that we are widely trusted with the most sensitive and vital environments.
We offer a wealth of experience as well as custom design services and long-term service contracts, and we are dedicated to ensuring your installation doesn’t become a horror story. We’ll be your guide through the fog of a crowded and complicated industry, all the way from concept through completion.
If you would like to learn more about how we can help you create a video wall for your operations center, contact us today for a free design and budget consultation.
Constant Technologies, Inc. provides AV integration for 24/7 video walls and custom operation center furniture. With 30+ years of experience, we can work with sensitive environments in the public and private sectors. Constant designs and installs projects of all scopes and sizes around the world. We also offer long-term service and support. We create solutions with the highest levels of security, aesthetics and functionality in mind.