The end of September is almost upon us—and with it, the ASIS
2017 Annual Seminar and Exhibits. The security industry’s most comprehensive
event is a great opportunity for both practitioners and vendors to meet with
one another and share insights. With the start of the conference less than a
week away, here are some key features to look forward to.
1. New Features
ASIS has said, "Only the name has stayed the same" in reference to the 2017 Annual Seminar and Exhibits. If you have attended ASIS's previous seminars, you will find that there are a lot of changed features, from entirely new events to schedule changes. Here are some new features to look forward to:
- The Exhibit Hall days have changed to give attendees more time to attend both the sessions and the exhibit floor.
- Opening Night Celebration
- The official kick-off for ASIS 2017, this event features a mechanical bull riding competition, armadillo races, food, and live music. This is sure to be an event to remember and is a great opportunity to network before the show officially begins.
- ASIS Happy Hour on the Expo Floor
- On Tuesday after the first day of exhibiting has finished, ASIS will host a happy hour in the Exhibit Hall with complimentary drinks. A networking opportunity as well as a chance to unwind, this is a can’t-miss event.
- ASIS Town Hall Meeting
- Sunday afternoon before the official kick-off, ASIS International is hosting a town hall meeting to facilitate open communication between its members and staff.
For all that's new at ASIS 2017, take a look at the ASIS Seminar website.
2. Keynote Speakers
This year's seminar includes an impressive lineup of speakers. The following keynote speakers are sure to impress:
- George W. Bush
- It doesn’t get much more high profile than a former President of the United States. The 43 rd President, who also authored the best-selling memoir Decision Points , will open up the conference with insights into his experiences as a world leader, defining decisions, and thoughts on current issues both international and domestic.
- Mark Cuban
- Mark Cuban has an impressive bio – Technology and Media Entrepreneur, owner of the Dallas Mavericks, well-known “shark” investor on the television show Shark Tank. At a sit-down luncheon, Cuban will share how he has approached securing his assets—both physical and informational—and share insights into emerging technology, economics, and the current political climate and their effects on the industry.
- Scott Klososky
- The security industry must be forward-thinking to stay ahead of new threats. Tuesday’s keynote speaker is a “world-renowned futurist” who will explore the implications of the rapid growth of technology integrated into our lives in his talk titled “The Technology Integration of Man.”
- Keynote Panel Session (Global
Responses to Global Threats): Edward F. Davis, III, Former Police Commissioner, Boston Police
Department; Rick DesLauriers, Former Special Agent in Charge (SAC), Boston
Division, FBI; Paul Barnard, Detective
Chief Superintendent, City of London Police; Lieutenant-colonel Christophe
Roland Beuzit, GIGN; Bonnie Michelman, CPP, Executive Director of Police,
Security and Outside Services, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Bonnie Michelman will moderate this panel discussion, which focuses on how various policing and intelligence community members can share information and collaborate to successfully protect their constituents and combat terrorism on a global scale. DesLauriers and Davis, investigative leads of the Boston Marathon bombing, will discuss the investigation of the incident and #BostonStrong. Barnard and Beuzit will speak about the recent bombings in Manchester and Paris and the respective responses of their cities and departments.
- Closing Keynote: Carey Lohrenz
- The First Female F-14 Tomcat Pilot, Carey Lohrenz, has also become an accomplished author and speaker. In her closing keynote, she will share her perspectives on leadership, teamwork, succeeding under pressure, lowering the margin of error, and turning adversity to success.
A full list of seminar speakers is available on the ASIS 2017 website.
3. Networking Events
There will be a large number of events throughout the week of the ASIS Seminar that provide opportunities to mingle with security professionals and industry leaders. From parties to awards ceremonies, there is something for everyone to enjoy and expand your network. Here are a choice few networking events to look forward to:
- ASIS Foundation Golf Tournament
- This event, which takes place on Sunday morning, has an entrance fee but includes breakfast, player gifts, and a buffet lunch. The proceeds will benefit the ASIS foundation, and attendees will spend the morning meeting with leaders and decision makers while enjoying a golf tournament.
- Karen Marquez Awards Event
- This award is presented to one female security practitioner, who must be a member of ASIS International to qualify for the award. The event is open to all and attendance is free. Registration through the web site is required.
- Canada Night 25th Anniversary Celebration
- Hosted by the ASIS Canadian Chapters, this event is open to all ASIS members and security industry leaders. This event takes place at the House of Blues and is sure to be a good time.
- Young Professionals & Women in Security Happy Hour
- Hosted by the ASIS Women in Security Council, this is an informal networking reception and a great opportunity to connect with colleagues and leaders.
- The Outstanding Security Performance Awards (OSPAs) luncheon
- This seated lunch recognizes and rewards both companies and individuals in the security industry for their achievements.
- President's Reception
- Hosted at the AT&T Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys, this event features field games, drills, a tour of the locker rooms, and a meet and greet with Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders.
For details and registration information for these events, visit ASIS’s page on networking events.
4. The opportunity to keep up to date with industry trends and best practices
ASIS 2017 offers over 200 seminar sessions on a variety of topics relevant to the security industry. Sessions will cover topics such as threat assessment, the future of the security industry, advancing technologies and their effect on the industry, and strategies for protecting data.
For a full list of sessions and times, visit the ASIS “map your show” page.
5. Meeting with partners like Constant Technologies!
Please join us at Booth 706 where we will demo our new operations center console desk, Freedom. The Freedom series technology furniture features an adjustable height work surface for optimal flexibility in your security operations center. As mission critical A/V integrators, Constant Technologies can pick and choose the best products from the best brands to install in our spaces. At this year’s booth we will feature cutting-edge 4K technology from Planar with Quad Viewing capabilities.
The exhibit hall also features special interest areas such as the ASIS Hub, Impact Learning Theaters, International Trade Center, Career Center & Headshot Studio, Accolades, and ASIS Watering Hole as well as over 500 other exhibitors offering numerous products and services. Details on the expo floor features are on the ASIS expo web page.
The exhibition hall is open Tuesday September 26 through Thursday September 28 from 10am-5:30pm on Tuesday and Wednesday, and from 10am to 1:00pm on Thursday.
Even if you do not register for attendance at the seminars, an expo-only pass is available for free on the ASIS conference website. Please contact us at 401.294.7171 if you would like to set up a time to meet with someone from Constant Technologies to review our capabilities.
With so many exciting opportunities and events, ASIS 2017 is sure to be a conference to remember. We look forward to seeing you there. Stop by booth 706 to say hello!
Constant Technologies, Inc. is a premier integrator providing mission
critical customized audio-visual integration, technology and custom
furniture solutions worldwide. With over 30 years’ experience, its
seasoned team has access and experience with sensitive environments,
such as Cyber Defense and Homeland Security. Constant designs, installs
and services projects of all scopes and size to create solutions with
the highest levels of security, aesthetics and functionality in mind.
Our team works within a range of operations center environments
such as Network Operations Centers (NOC), Security Operations Centers
(SOC), Security Information Centers (SIC), Cyber Security Operations
Centers (CSOC), Emergency Operations Centers (EOC), Fusion Operations
Centers, Joint Operations Centers (JOC), Tactical Operations Centers
(TOC), Combined Operations Centers (COS), C4ISR Environments and Social
Media Command Centers. We offer professional video wall integration and
operation center furniture to give your team the space to operate
efficiently. Please contact us today for a free design consultation